Blog: Embracing Winter
March 1, 2019
Kaitlin Hanson, Washburn County Staff Writer
It seems hard to believe that just a few short weeks ago Mr. Groundhog gave us the exciting news that we would experience an early spring. With what feels like neverending snow and cold, winter is here, so we might as well embrace it! Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy the winter wonderland of the northwoods.
- No matter what sort of winter sport you are into, the trails of Washburn County are waiting for you. The fat bike trails at Wild Cat, ski trails at Spooner City Park and the hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails are in the best condition in years! What better way to experience the northwoods than on one of your favorite trails?
- Looking for a fun activity that the whole family could enjoy? Lace up your skates and head to the rink, a winter classic! Don’t worry, if the weather is a bit too frigid to enjoy the outdoor rink at Spooner City Park, the Spooner Civic Center offers open skate times for all to enjoy. They also have skate rentals for all sizes, so pick up a pair and hit the ice!
- Speaking of ice...there are nearly 1,000 icy lakes for you to choose from and try to land your next trophy fish. If you need to stock up on bait or gear before heading out to the lake, AAA Sports Shop of Spooner, Sportsman’s Headquarters in Minong, Long Lake Bait & Tackle and Stone Lake Bait are just a few of the places that will have you covered - be sure to ask them where the fish are biting, they’re always willing to help guide you in the right direction.
- So maybe you’re looking for a fun indoor alternative, Jack Link’s Aquatic & Activity Center in Minong offers day passes for a quick visit. You could enjoy time in the gymnasium shooting hoops, or take a dip in the pool - the kids will LOVE the play structure. The whole family will be sure to find something perfect for them at JLAAC.
- If you’re looking for some fun nightlife to enjoy, head over to Washburn County’s first brewery in downtown Spooner. Round Man Brewing Co. offers incredible food, a variety of tasty beer, and live music on select nights. From the kids menu to the craft beer and cocktails, we know everyone will find something on the menu to enjoy.
There are so many winter fun activities to choose from in Washburn County - whichever way you get here, you are sure to enjoy all the fun that awaits you in this winter wonderland. For more winter fun ideas, visit our Winter Fun Page.
About the Author: Kaitlin Hanson is life long Washburn County resident and has loved it. Now she raises her little one to enjoy all things Washburn County has to offer just as she did when she was a tyke!