Tips for Exploring Washburn County ATV Trails in the Fall
Written by Michelle Martin, Washburn County Staff Writer
As the crisp fall air takes over the warm summer breezes and the leaves begin to explode into a delightful array of orange, red, and yellow, it’s time to gear up and hit the trails to explore the beauty of fall. Whether you’ve experienced the Washburn County area trails a time or two or it’s your first time in the area, you’ll want to take a quick peek at these great tips for exploring the area trails.
- Pick up the ATV Scenic Tour brochure and accompanying ATV map. With nearly 40 stops along the trail, the ATV Scenic Tour highlights some geographic, historic, and other fun stops that you’ll see along the way. Of special interest during the fall season is the Trail 8 & 39 loop between Trego and Minong. Several of the stops along this trail are forests managed by Washburn County Forestry that offer a variety of trees, providing for the perfect fall color ride!
- Wisconsin weather is nothing if not unpredictable, so be sure to dress in layers. You might start off your morning needing a hooded sweatshirt or a light coat, but by afternoon the sun warms up the crisp fall air. If you’re looking for some souvenir shirts or forgot to pack a sweatshirt, be sure to stop into the Washburn County Visitor Center where you’ll find some great Washburn County apparel.
- Pack a picnic lunch or plan a stop along the trail to grab a bite. If you’d prefer to pack your own lunch, you’ll want to check out the Stony Brook Rest Area or the Berry Lake Rest Area for a great picnic spot along the trail. If you’re more in the mood for some hot food, check out one of the great lunch spots along the trail. Many of them are marked right on the map!
- If you’re in the market for a new ATV, be sure to stop into Wild River Sport & Marine where you’ll find a variety of Yamaha units on the showroom floor. If you’d rather rent a UTV while you’re here, reach out to Petit’s Auto & Performance located in Minong for a great rental experience.
- As you plan your trip, be sure to reach out to the Visitor Experience Representatives at Washburn County Tourism Association for assistance in planning your trip. If you’re looking for trail access lodging, order an ATV Packet which features the ATV map, trail access lodging as well as the guide to the area or jump on our ATV Trail Access lodging on the website. Once you’ve arrived, swing into the visitor center where you’ll find ATV maps for the majority of Northwest Wisconsin.
From the stunning views to the friendly business owners, you’re sure to find Washburn County to be some of the best trail riding around. As you’re out on the trails, as always, please respect our trails and landowners by staying on the trail and observing all safety precautions. Enjoy the trails!