Blog: Fall Doesn't End in Early October
September 18, 2018
As the leaves begin to drop, you may think that fall is over in Washburn County, but that’s not the case at all. There are so many fun fall activities that happen in mid to late October. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy a weekend exploring the area during the late fall season.
- Spooner Tin Ceiling Tour - Wander Spooner’s beautiful downtown with authentic shops, but be sure to look up as you wander! Over a dozen of the stores have exposed the original tin ceilings. You’ll be in awe of the intricate designs and wide variety of colors. A brochure and an audio tour are available to help guide you to the shops with the tin ceilings and offers a historical perspective of the previous “lives” of the buildings.
- Head to Hunt Hill Audubon Sanctuary to explore a 600 acre nature reserve with over 13 miles of trails. The trails are free to hike and are open all year long. This incredible property offers a glimpse at a variety of Northwoods habitats. Fall is the perfect time for some birdwatching so be sure to stop by the Washburn County Visitor Center to check out a birdwatching backpack before heading out on the trail.
- Pack up the kids and head to The Burch Barn - our favorite pumpkin patch ever! Not only can you pick out some pumpkins, but you (and the kids) will have a blast on the 100 foot gunny sack slide or shooting the corn cannon. More fun activities at The Burch Barn include a corn pit (think a giant sand box with corn instead of sand), a grain train where you can take a ride through the giant pumpkin patch, a corn maze, bounce houses, and so much more!
- If you can’t wait for winter to strap on your ice skates and do some skating, be sure to check out the Spooner Civic Center’s open skate nights. Generally Wednesday and Saturday evenings, come skate on the indoor rink to get ready for winter. Not in the winter mode yet, head up to Jack Link’s Aquatic & Activity Center in Minong where you can take a dip in the pool. The play structure is a blast for the kids and there’s plenty of pool-side seating to relax and read a book while they play.
- Hop aboard the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad for a ride on a historic train. Couples will adore the Bed & Breakfast train ride where you can relax aboard the train, dine on amazing food and wake up to a great breakfast in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. If you’re looking for a shorter excursion, you can also take a dinner train where you will relax with a cocktail before settling in for an exquisite supper as you roll through the Northwoods and along the Namekagon River.
For more great ideas on what to do in the area, order your free information packet today.